Camino de Santiago

Publicado por Unknown , jueves, 23 de octubre de 2014 0:00



A trail has finally broken me. I've met a trail that I just can't hack. It's El Camino Santiago.
I'm pretty tough mentally. I smile during mountaineering moments when most people cry. I've hiked nearly 15,000 miles (24,000 km) in the last decade, having a blast under nearly all conditions. I've never even though about quitting a trail. Until now.
Walking from Pamplona to Burgos is murderously dull, yet most say it is much more scenic than Burgos to Leon. That's when I considered quiting.
It also made me admire all the pilgrims who are not only able to walk the whole trail, but to also do it with a smile on their faces! I am clearly not tough enough!
But I won't quit. Fortunately, I have a solution that will keep me from giving up completely.
Where is El Camino Santiago?
The name El Camino Santiago is deceptive. Its most popular translated names (the Way of St. James or Le Chemin St. Jacques) are also misleading. These names imply that there is one trail, one way, one path to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Nothing could be further from the truth.
In fact, ANY way to Santiago de Compostela is a Camino Santiago. All roads may lead to Rome, but all caminos lead to Santiago de Compostela.
If you zoom into the map of Europe on the right, you may notice that one trail is a bit thicker than the rest. This is the famous Camino Frances, or the French Trail. It is the most popular way to Santiago de Compostela. However, the key takeaway from the map is that there are many caminos. 
In short, El Camino Santiago is the ultimate hike your own hike trail.